This time last year was the first time I tried hot buttered rum, and it was so delicious. I kept meaning to try and recreate it but when I finally did, I found it was a bit too rich for me. So I set about trying to create a different version...
The thing with hot buttered rum is that it's needs so much butter - about a tablespoon per glass! It's delicious, but I wanted to come up with something that I could drink and still have room for Christmas dinner.
I also wanted to come up with a warming cocktail that included winter pimms, which I absolutely love. So I combined the ingredients for hot buttered rum, substituted the butter, and added a twist with winter pimms to create: the Hot Apple Winter Warmer.
you will need:
+ apple juice
+ winter pimms (I had a really hard time finding it this year, but finally got it from Ocado)
+ coconut oil
- measure out two mugs of apple juice and set to simmer on the stove.
- add between half and three quarters of a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- leave to simmer on a very low heat for about ten minutes.
- measure out a combination of rum and winter pimms into the mugs, you can make it as strong or as weak as you like, as pimmy or as rummy as you like - I take mine pretty weak with a lean towards the pimms.
- pour the simmered apple juice into the mug from a bit of a height, this'll mix it and give the alcohol a chance to combine with the juice and the oil.
Add a cinnamon stick if you've got one, or a few segments of clementine for a bit of a tang, and you will have yourself the best warm winter cocktail you will ever have - if I do say so myself. Oh, and it's vegan!